Sunday, January 4, 2009

Tomorrow Starts My Journey

Tomorrow morning Amy and I will get the airport around 5:15. I am so excited and hopeful. We'll get to Mexicali around 1ish pacific time and start preop. I'll be released for dinner and a night in a local hotel and then be back around 8 am for surgery on the 5th. I am so excited to start this journey and excited for any of you who are praying for me and sharing in it with me.

I've had some people ask the difference between the sleeve and typical gastric bypass and lap band. So rather than try to explain it I thought I'd post this.

About Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

This is a good surgery for me because even though I am significantly overweight my BMI is just barely 40.3. So that's considered a "light" weight by weight loss surgery standards.

Some of the advantages to this surgery are:
  • Reduces stomach capacity but tends to allow the stomach to function normally so most food items can be consumed, albeit in small amounts.
  • Eliminates the portion of the stomach that produces the hormones that stimulates hunger (Ghrelin).
  • Dumping syndrome is avoided or minimized because the pylorus is preserved.
  • Minimizes the chance of an ulcer occurring.
  • By avoiding the intestinal bypass, almost eliminates the chance of intestinal obstruction (blockage), marginal ulcers, anemia, osteoporosis, protein deficiency and vitamin deficiency.
  • Results appear promising as a single stage procedure for low BMI patients.
  • Appealing option for people who are concerned about the complications of intestinal bypass procedures or who have existing anemia, Crohn’s disease and numerous other conditions that make them too high risk for intestinal bypass procedures.
  • Appealing option for people who are concerned about the foreign body aspect of Banding procedures.
  • Can be done laparoscopically: fewer wound and lung problems, less pain, and faster recovery.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your surgery today! I'm thinking of you and praying it all goes as planned! ~ Crista

Anne said...

Leah...just wanted you to know I have thought about you alot today! I pray that all goes well, and I can't wait to hear about your journey! I am so excited for you!!

Anonymous said...

I hope everything goes perfectly! I can't wait to get an update! Know that we're thinking about you!
(((hugs)))

Anne said...

Just popped in to see if you were home!! Excited to hear from you!