Thursday, January 15, 2009

Surgery Update


Before Pic - I look pregnant. Sigh!


Me & Dr. Campos - he was one of the surgeons & checked on me often. Very sweet.

Me with Dr. Aceves (surgeon) & 2 other patients that I traveled with
Shawn and Jamie. :)




The closest I got to see anything in San Diego. It was beautiful though.



I've never seen mountains like this. It was hard to get pics but many looks like huge piles of rocks this big or huge pieces of gravel. It was amazing. Very stark but beautiful in a way.


Sorry for the delay in the updates. I am healing well and my incisions look good. I just started full liquids yesterday and didn't do well my first day but today I enjoyed some hot and sour soup (didn't eat the solids). It was yummy. I have 10 days of full liquids before I started 10 days of soft/mushie/blended foods.

I have lost 12 pounds. :) I know that's "easy" to do on liquids but the great news is I won't gain it back!!!

I am sleeping better finally. That started on Sunday. I can't sleep on my left side (which is my typical) because of the drain incision and of course sleeping on the tummy is out. So I've had to learn to sleep on my right.

I am very tired and I know that's because my protein level is down but with full liquids I hope to make some good shakes and up my protein levels quite a bit. I am supposed to get at least 50 grams of protein a day.

I've been asked several times how I liked the medical care in Mexico and let me just say it was amazing. The level of care far surpassed any of my three hospital experiences here in the states. I've had 2 csections and an open gall bladder surgery. The rooms and hospital were gorgeous and extremely clean. I walked in white socks most often and my socks barely had a hint of dirt on them. The nurses and Dr's were so kind and caring. My sister loved the food in the cafeteria. It was like a full restaurant. Anyway - I am more than pleased with my decision. Thank you God for leading me this direction!

I did have a complication during surgery but not from the surgeon. They found a gastric mucosa during surgery and had to call a gastroenterologist and I was scoped during sugery. During the transurgical endoscopy they found a vulcan shape lesion aprox 7mm on the antrum 1.5cm from the pylorus, macroscopical its similar to ectopic pancreatic tissue so they decided to take a biopsy and send it to pathology for further examination.

The pathology report shows, chronic follicular gastritis with mild dysplasia and intestinal metaplasia on the stomach The results from the biopsy shows intestinal metaplasia and mild dysplasia on the stomach mucosa. From what I've been told the intestinal dysplasia is the biggest deal. It can change into things that are more problematic although it may not. Similar to abnormal pap smears. Sometimes they mean something and sometimes they don't.

So they are sending me the path reports to take to the Dr. I will more than likely be sent to a gastroenterologist and need to be scoped every 6 months to watch that. Sigh. So now I am praying about what to do about insurance.

I am thankful for the surgery otherwise how would I know?

4 comments:

the undomesticated wife said...

So what exactly does that all mean?

I'm so excited for you! I know how much your spirits must be lifted and knowing that you'll be feeling so much better as the months go by!

xoxo

Leah said...

The gastric mucosa stuff? I don't know. It could be nothing or it could be a precusor to something kinda like atypical cells on your cervic. Sigh!

txranger93 said...

Thanks for the update...I was wondering how things were going for you. I wasn't sure what type of foods you can or cannot eat right now. Keep posting pics of your progress! I miss you like crazy!! :)

Robyn said...

So glad you are home and doing well. I've been praying for you and your family.