Friday, January 9, 2009

I'm Home

I'm home. Sorry for the delay in posting. I got home around 7 yesterday after managing to make an earlier flight home. The girls - understandably so - demanded my full attention and within 2 hours I was so tired. Salem wanted to see my scars and help changing my bandages and they both insisted on sleeping with me (that took some finagling) and Brian had the house all clean and Larrah (19 year old) moved! Sigh!!! Good thing but sad it happened while I was gone.

Day 1 we arrived in San Diego around 10. I'll have to show you the pictures of the rock mountains on the way to Mexico as soon as we get them off the camera. I was amazed. It was as if God opened cans of rocks and just dumped them out. HUGE rocks just in the shape of mountains. The hospital was wonderful. Very modern and the staff amazingly compassionate and considerate. We went straight to the hospital and I had an EKG, bloodwork, chest xray and urinalysis and then I met with Dr. Campos - one of the Dr's. Then we went back to the hotel and had a wonderful dinner. I am very glad they gave me a sleeping pill.

Ernesto the driver picked us up Monday at 7:15. I met with the internist and anesthiologist and then the surgeon Dr. Aceves. I felt very peaceful. There were three of us and I was third so I played online the entire time.

I woke up feeling naturally like I'd been run over by a train. No liquids this day - just pain management. I did start walking as soon as I got up.

Tuesday I didn't feel so great. I woke up in pain and asked for pain meds. They did a leak test and it was fine. This is the one where I drank the blue liquid and they checked my drain. This cleared me to drink fluid - yucky tang, YUMMY apple juice and chamomile tea. I never thought apple juice would be so yummy. The hot tea was very soothing. I was better the rest of the day and walked all over the hospital and even to the cafeteria with Amy while she eat.

Wednesday I woke up feeling great but then we did the more detailed leak/swallow test where you drink some nasty stuff. WAY worse than barium. I could see it going down my new tummy but bwhen it hit bottom I thought I was goign to die and started throwing up. I passed the test but the throwing up with awful and they gave me pain medicine and anti-nausea meds to help. Then I slept 2-3 hours. Then I woke up to yummy chicken broth!!! :) Then more broth.

I was released on Thursday at around 7pm. It was amazing. In the states you're only in the hospital 1-2 days and I simply can't imagine going home that soon.

I had planned on updating everyday but that didn't happen. I didn't open my laptop once after surgery. I slept and talked and watch 90210 reruns! LOL. Oh and I read New Moon and started Eclipse. My incisions are healing well and I am mainly keeping the drain site clean and resting. The main side effect is heartburn but I am on Nexium MUPPS and it helps a lot. So mainly I am resting and reading. I am supposed to walk a lot (to prevent blood clots) and plan to be at MOPS on Monday. I just can't lift. That and no sex are my only restrictions! ;)

I do have a before shot of me and great pics of the Drs with me. I am so blessed and excited to have had this opportunity. Thanks for sharing in my journey.


Brenda-Ann said...


You were on my mind these last few days, so I was so glad to "hear" from you via your blog. I'll continue praying as you recover from the surgery and walk the path to a healthier you.

txranger93 said...

It sounds like things went pretty well for you...that's great! You definitely need to post a "before" picture...especially since there are some of us who don't live by you anymore and would need a source of comparison! :)

glenna said...

so glad you're back! big hugs!!

The Lipsius Family said...

Glad to hear your home safely and doing well! I'm excited to watch your progress!

Leah said...

Thank you all. I am very tired but feeling great and my incisions are looking good.

Shannon I have a gross before pic. I'll be sure to post it. LOL.

terri said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. I have prayed for you and glad to hear you are doing so well. Keep us posted and good luck.

Whitney said...

I'm so glad everything went well!

Gwen said...

I've been thinking about you all week. I'm glad that things went so well for you and hope that your recovery and the next steps of your journey go well. (((Hugs)))