Sunday, October 25, 2009

My View of Christianity & Therapy

I am going to speak for a short time at MOPS a little bit of my testimony of handling my past and depression via therapy. It's hard for me but I know God wants me too.

I know as a Christian woman and leader I felt responsible for being "strong". That meant not letting people know when I needed love and encouragement and support. I suffered in silence. In agonizing silence. If someone asked me how I was I often said - I'm fine. The Christian F word.

As Christian women we often set ourselves up in competition against each other without even realizing it. If we visit some one's house we often compare and realize ours isn't so clean. She must have stayed up all night to get it this way. Or she's a natural at it - what's wrong with me?

We do the same with clothes, parenting, discipline, our marriages and so much more.

Let's stop the Mothering/Womanhood competition and simply be the women God has called us to be.

And for me I can't be that woman without having gone through therapy. The Holy Spirit used and is still continuing to use therapy to heal my heart and my very soul.

Don't be afraid to ask for help through a friend, a pastor, a mentor or even a therapist. If you have postpartum depression get help. If you have situational depression or anxiety or trauma from the past - get help. Don't be ashamed. Shame is the devil's way of hiding you away from the protective embrace of the Almighty. Step out of the bushes and reach out to God. He's there waiting.

It took a long time for me to step outside of my comfort zone and seek out help and the only thing I regret is not doing it sooner.

3 comments:

Whitney said...

So true! Why do women do that! I hope your speech at MOPS went well and I'm certain it made a difference for many women today!

the undomesticated wife said...

I'm so glad this has been such a blessing in your life! Anything that can help keep your sanity, right? ;)

BTW, I have BOO'd you. Come by to see.

Trish said...

This is such an important message, and I think women who struggle with this often need to hear it this stressed by those in the church.

Healing comes in different ways, and I believe therapy can be one of those ways. I applaud your strength in talking about it openly.