I am just starting week three of Beth Moore's stud - When Godly People Do Ungodly Things. It's really ministering to me deeply and I wanted to share a bit.
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not put out the Spirit's fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-25.
1. He is happy in his faith: I have a hard time with this. I am not unhappy with God but I let the cares of this world weaken my faith. Today is a new day Lord. I ask that you help me see your word and your will in my daily life even on tough days. I will rejoice always. (Rejoice in the lord always and again I say rejoice).
2. She abstains from evil: If we are happy in our faith that gives us the power to abstain from every evil. Certainly other things can give us happiness but they are safe and non toxic when our primary source of happiness is Jesus. Without happiness in Christ every other source of happiness can become a tool for the enemy.
3. She is unceasing in prayer - I don't think this means a repetitive rote prayer. It means a spirit of prayer - a spirit of communion with our father. A continual open line of communication. Basically it means seeing everything against a backdrop of God's presence.
4. She is thankful and gives thanks. I want to live in active gratitude. In all things give thanks. I may have something hard and dark working in my life but in this situation if I am abstaining from evil, being unceasing in prayer and happy in my faith - I can give thanks in all situations. IN all things - not for all things. I thank you Lord that in this season of darkness that I have been in that you have not forgotten me. You have been beside me all of the way. Thank you for the people you have brought into my life to help heal me, save me and deliver me.
5. She doesn't quench the spirit. Half filled is still half empty. Without the full empowerment of the holy spirit we have no defense against the enemy. The NIV translation says - don't put out the spirits fire. Think about Moses and the burning bush. Moses was amazed that the bush didn't burn up. That fire was unusual because the flames didn't destroy. God's fire is the only fire that consume and not destroy. Anger destroys. Lust destroys. Gossip destroys. God's fire isn't destructive. He doesn't feed off all of us. He is the I am, the self-existent One. No other fiery passion in our souls will ever guard us against being burned.
Lord in what of the above areas am I weak in? Help me discern that. Thank you for bringing me this far. For helping me get past this hurdle in my life and move forward. I am actively grateful for the direction in which you are leading my life. Thank you Lord for your grace and your mercy and your never ending love and compassion. Please help me develop a grateful spirit. I want to listen to the Holy Spirit's call and guidance. Help me be ecstatic in my faith.
Thank you Lord.
6 years ago