Friday, September 5, 2008

So I joined a gym

OK here I go again. I used to work out amazingly. A year after Salem was born I went to Gold's Gym and worked out an hour+ a day 5 days a week. I ate well and lost almost 70 pounds. Then I got pregnant with Raina. I still worked out but it was harder. I did well during pregnancy and while I was nursing but after I had been nursing about 15 months I started gaining weight and got up to 230. GULP.

So I am eating better with the vegetarian lifestyle but I have to work out. I can eat well and barely lose anything. I have the metabolism of a slug apparently. So I didn't want to go back to Gold's. They are nice and gave a huge ministerial discount but I know NO ONE there. For some reason that's a big deal for me these days. So I figure why waste it.

So I paid more and joined Power Shack. The people are really nice and I have two work out partners. So my goal is to go Tuesday-Friday and some Saturdays. Mondays are MOPS days so unless I go in evening I am not sure how that will work.

I have to be honest - I hate working out. I do feel good after but I am not a natural born exercise love. My knees hurt, I sweat like a pig and I feel so "noticeable". But I am going. I have to lose weight.

Hold me accountable. Really. And after 3 weeks of no diet coke if you EVER see a diet coke in my hands rip it out and throw it away. Seriously!

4 comments:

mom_bjl said...

hi Leah,
I love your blog! I love that you and your family have been able to start the vegetarian lifestyle! I wish I could get my family eating better, (my husband is a big meat & potatoes type of man) I know it's been hard for me to stay at my ideal weigh since I've now hit my 30+ years!..lol.. way to go one kicking the diet coke! I've been dr. pepper free since March 08' along time ago, while expecting Lacey & till she was about 2 1/2 I was off of caffenine! boy I was kicking myself for picking it back up! by the way, while my husband & I were at the Rehab Dinner Show, on a slide show, I seen a couple of pictures of Salem! I said I know that cutie!! ~~was neat seeing someone you know on there!
keep up the good work!
~~TINA S.
former MOPS worker!

Anonymous said...

How did you get started on the flexitarian way?

Whitney said...

I totally understand how you feel about needing someone you know to work out with. I'm the same way.

You're doing great! Keep it up!

Leah said...

Thanks Tina. Long time no "see". How are you doing?

Charissa - I have really high cholesterol and haven't been able to get it down. I also read the book "Skinny Bitch" and while it has an offensive title and bad language the book itself is amazingly full of information. I am not vegan which is what the book promotes but I know I consume way too much animal fat/protein. I don't think our bodies were made to do this. I have IBS and since not eating meat I haven't had ANY symptoms. Email me anytime.

Thanks Whitney. Do you go to Power shack?